Job title: Business Development Director
Office location: Brussels
(Invesis operates a flexible working policy)
Number of hours: 40 hours
Invesis is looking for a Business Development Director in their Netherlands and Belgium business unit who will be responsible for sourcing, originating, bidding and winning infrastructure projects. The current portfolio includes a total of 15 assets being operated and managed by Invesis which includes the Dutch Supreme Court and Ijmuiden Sea Lock in the Netherlands, and Dendermonde Prison in Belgium.
Invesis is currently actively engaged in numerous tenders, primarily in Belgium. Consequently, the initial emphasis will be on leading the team and ensuring the successful submission of competitive bids. Additionally, as the senior figure within the Brussels team, the Business Development Director plays a crucial role as a leader of the people.
As Business Development Director, you are responsible for identifying, initiating, and developing new opportunities and projects, from inception to contract and financial close. As a key member of the management team you will be leading the investment team and collaborating closely with professionals and experts in both Belgium and the Netherlands. You have the ability to inspire others and maintain an extensive network in the market.
Key external stakeholders will include clients, consortium (construction) partners, (sub) contractors, technical advisors and investors.
Key internal stakeholders will include Business Development teams within Invesis’ other business units as well as Project Finance and Legal teams.
In your role as Business Development Director, your primary focus is on securing projects and facilitating new investments. This involves identifying new PPP projects as well as opportunities within the Energy Transition and Digital Infrastructure sectors in the Netherlands and Belgium. You will also be responsible for building partnerships with strategic partners and providing leadership to the investment teams in developing tenders and projects from inception until the contract and financial close.
Your role and associated responsibilities are as follows:
- Exploring new markets and developing new projects to grow the Invesis portfolio.
- Collecting and structuring information and monitoring internal and external developments to analyse markets, identify trends and monitor developments to create a sustainable long-term market vision.
- Providing a comprehensive commercial analysis, conducting due diligence research, evaluating opportunities, and translating them into commercially viable business models with concise business cases to support decision-making within Invesis.
- Cultivating business development plans for Invesis in Belgium and the Netherlands and actively promoting Invesis in these markets.
- Maintaining contacts within Invesis, particularly with the Business Development teams of other Business Units to optimise collaborative approaches and market strategies and foster mutual learning. Furthermore, collaborate closely with the Business Development Director Core+ to develop projects in the field of Energy Transition and Digital Infrastructure.
- Building and maintaining a network of contacts with clients, partners, advisors, and other parties in the market.
- Leading the team of Investment Directors and Managers (approximately 9 FTE) who develop and prepare tenders and new projects.
- A member of the management team of the Business Unit Netherlands & Belgium, alongside the Head of Project Finance and Legal Services, the Head of Operational Finance, the Asset Management Director and the Managing Director.
- A member of Invesis’ Origination Leadership team, alongside the Chief Investment Officer, Managing Directors of the Business Units, and fellow Business Development Directors.
Who are we looking for
For this position, we are looking for an experienced, versatile and driven Business Development Director with a passion for PPP projects and energy transition. This individual will play a pivotal role in delivering Invesis’ long-term goals.
Education and experience
- You hold a Master’s degree and/or have extensive experience in the commercial and economic field with experience in PPP projects and/or project financing.
- You have a deep understanding of the infrastructure investment market and ideally have experience in the PPP sector and sectors related to digital infrastructure and/or the energy transition.
- You possess a solid and deep understanding of the business models applicable to investments, including PPP projects, M&A and/or platform investments.
- You have a strong network of clients, partners and advisors in the Belgian and ideally the Dutch markets.
You are fluent in both Dutch/Flemish and French and have a good command of the English language.
Personal Characteristics and Competencies
- You have a developer’s mindset, characterised by your ability to act as a ‘Deal Maker’, identifying and seizing business development opportunities, from deal structuring through to contract closure. With a long-term approach to investments, you consider the interests of all related parties involved in order to develop an optimal and winning solution.
- You have an entrepreneurial personality, thinking laterally and creatively about investment possibilities. You are flexible, agile, decisive and act on new opportunities as they arise.
- You are a natural networker who connects easily and are skilled at maintaining relationships and expanding your network.
- You can lead and support Investment Managers in their work within the investment teams, helping them develop their business development skills and expand their networks.
- You are results-oriented, persistent and have a ‘can-do’ attitude.
- You are authentic, consistent and you exude confidence in your role.
- You are a team player who enjoys working with people whether it is internal or external partners and stakeholders. You have excellent communication, presentation, negotiation and influencing skills and are able to inspire others.
- You are committed to safety, sustainability, integrity/business conduct, diversity and inclusion.
You will be based in Brussels and will travel about 25% of the time mainly within Belgium. You will be expected to spend approximately one day a week in Bunnik, The Netherlands.
There will be multiple interview rounds with Labyrinth Search and Invesis. A detailed reference check is part of the process and an assessment may be conducted if necessary. To apply for this position, please send your CV and motivation to [email protected].